Sunday 31 August 2014

Greens Peas and Coconut Poriyal!



This recipe is on of my mother in law's speciality, she was born and brought up by the coast so her cooking has a lot of coconut in it and trust me this really simple dish is so mouth watering that you will keep coming back to it. This can be enjoyed with a roti or a side dish with rice or if you are like me I just polish it on its own :)

Here is what you need if you want to give it a go, this makes enough for 2,just increase the quantity if you want to make more:




 
Shopping list:
  1. 1 cup frozen peas
  2. 1/4th cup freshly grated coconut. This is the key, do not replace this with dry coconut. I have tried this with dessicated coconut mixed in little bit of milk and works OK, but use this option if you just cannot get hold of fresh coconut.
  3. 2 fresh green chillies
  4. a good pinch of cumin seeds.
  5. 1 tea spoon of ghee or sunflower oil
  6. a sprig of curry leaves
  7. a pinch of asafoetida
  8. salt to taste
  9. Half a lime or lemon for a good squeeze.
Put everything together:
  1. Take a heavy bottom or a non stick pan/pot
  2. Add the oil or ghee on medium heat.
  3. Once the oil is reasonably hot add the cumin seeds and curry leaves and stand back as this will sputter.
  4. Add a pinch of asafoetida.
  5. Add the green peas and salt.
  6. Mix everything well and leave it to cook for 5 to 8 mins.
  7. Add the grated coconut and mix it well. Leave it for a minute.
  8. Turn off the heat and squeeze the lemon over the peas.
Enjoy it with roti or rice, this poriyal keeps quite well in the refrigerator if you want to have some leftovers :)

Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. I seem to have missed a lot of your posts. I am sorry to have, It would help if you could add a feedburner option so that I will get an email every time you post. Others would also appreciate it I am sure. I have now asked to follow you on Google, let me see if they would advise me also.

    ReplyDelete