Saturday 26 December 2015

Veg stir Fry Noodles

How many times do we all go on a diet and get sick of it and fall back exactly to where we were. It happens more than often isn't it. But have you ever thought, if you think of diet as something of a change to your mundane food and lifestyle, it might brighten you up a little and actually look at diet as something to enjoy. I recently went on a very hard diet, I struggled a lot initially, but rather enjoyed it towards the end, the reason being, I found myself exploring, herbs, sauces, pastes that I had never used. Vegetables I had never eaten as first choice. Soon, I was cooking differently, rather creatively and enjoying my food too. Diet doesn't have to be boring, there are so many possibilities that you will soon find yourself making a life style change. This veg stir fry is packed with proteins and vitamins. It tastes good and does you a lot of good. Here is what you need:

  1. 1 pack of stir fry vegetables of your choice. I assembled them myself, and this is what I used, because this was something that I made from left over vegetables. A small head of cabbage, red peppers, courgettes, tofu (I had a tin of braised tofu in soy sauce, you can use just the regular firm one). Other vegetables, you can use, which I used another time are Brocolli, Carrots, baby corn, mushrooms, sugar snap peas. But essentially use any vegetables you like for this stir fry or add some boiled eggs or fish or chicken to make it more interesting. I served the same thing with honey roast ham torn up for my husband, works a treat.
  2. 1 inch thinly sliced ginger
  3. 3 big cloves of garlic
  4. 1 red onion
  5. 3 spring onions
  6. tea spoon of chilli flakes (optional)
  7. handful of coriander leaves.
  8. 1 tablespoon, low salt soy sauce
  9. 1 tea spoon white wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar, if you want some sweetness.
  10. A dash of Worcester sauce and a dash of fish sauce.
  11. half a lemon
  12. Salt to taste.
  13. Chilli Infused Chilli Rapeseed Oil for dressing and regular Rapeseed oil for cooking.
  14. Egg noodles or rice noddles, add any noodles of your choice. 
This looks like a lot of ingredients, but if you look in your fridge, you will find most of them around. The sauces you can alter as per us taste. Ass some Sweet chilli sauce or any other sauce you like to make it interesting.
 There is hardly any cooking involved in this, but here is how I went about:


  1. In a non stick pack take a teaspoon of rapeseed oil and fry off the tofu until its nice and brown.
  2. Remove the tofu, add some more oil, and fry off garlic, ginger and Onion and chilli flakes, until its translucent. The trick is to have a nice bite in every veg you add to this stir fry.
  3. Add all the vegetables and stir fry for 5 mins. Try and cut all the vegetables to same size, so that they cook evenly. If you are using broccoli, either stem it in a double boiler or microwave it in some water for 5 mins, so that it retains its crunch, before adding it to the stir fry.
  4. Cook everything for 5-7 mins, I like my veg quite crunch in a stir fry, if you like they well done, cook them longer.
  5. Add all the sauces and add the egg noodles. Cook further for 2 mins.
  6. Squeeze lemon and garnish with Coriander.
  7. Just before serving drizzle over some Chilli oil to give it that extra kick and enjoy while its still hot :)
I made this twice, once with my husband's aunt who is an amazing cook and once by myself. We just altered the vegetables that went in. This dish is something you can make your own. Add as many vegetables you like, meat or fish, it will not let you down, plus its very healthy as its not greasy. Try it and let me know what you cooked yours with :)
P.S. - The image on top has egg noodles and the image at the bottom has rice noodles and both have different vegetables :)




No comments:

Post a Comment